Fall is here and it`s time for pumpkin picking, festivals and so much more! Luckily on Long Island there is always something to do, especially in the Fall. Whether you are looking for a family fun day or a day out with friends, there is always something to do. Below I will list the top 6 activities to do this season.
1. Why not pick fresh apples! Lewins Farms in Wading River is the perfect place pick your own apples. Then you can either enjoy a fresh apple or even make an apple pie.
2. You can pumpkin pick! There are so many pumpkin farms on Long island including Schmitts Farm in Melville and Stakey`s Pumpkin Farm in Aquebogue.
3. The Rise of the Jack O’ Lanterns at Old Westbury Gardens, presented throughout October, showcases the amazing work of dozens of local artists. Spend an hour walking through the trail and see more than 5,000 hand-carved Jack O’Lanterns light up the night.
4. Southampton embraces fall with a full weekend of art, music, food, entertainment, and history near the end of September. The aptly named Southampton Septemberfest allows residents and visitors to explore Southampton’s rich cultural heritage and its close connection to agriculture and the sea. Adding to the entertainment are volunteers dressed in traditional outfits who sell locally grown produce, teach traditional crafts like basket weaving, and even hold class in a one-room schoolhouse.
5. Celebrate Long Island’s rich history and traditions at the Hallockville Museum Farm’s Fall Festival and Craft Show, which includes demos on basket weaving, yarn spinning, woodworking, blacksmithing, and more, plus more than 50 craft vendors. See livestock displays, farm machinery and tractor exhibits, and even a model railroad display.
6. Grande Festa Italiana, held annually in early September at North Hempstead Beach Park in Port Washington, is both the largest and oldest Italian feast on Long Island. Along with the rides, fireworks, and live music, kids can enjoy sampling a variety of Italian foods and watching cooking demonstrations.
With so much to do, it`s easy to say that Long Island is the place to be during the Fall. What activity is your favorite?
Written by: Sandra Costanzo