Everyone needs to be prepared for the unexpected. You, as well as your family and friends, will most likely not be together when a disaster strikes. How will you find each other? Will you know if your children or parents are safe?
Here are steps to take before a disaster happens to ensure you and your loved ones will be safe:
- Post emergency telephone numbers near the phone.
- Install safety features in your home, such as smoke alarms and fire extinguishers.
- Inspect your home for items that can move, fall, break or catch fire and correct them.
- Have your family learn basic safety measures such as CPR and first aid, how to use a fire extinguisher and also how to turn off the main’s to your gas, water and electric in your home.
- Teach children how and when to call 911 in the event of an emergency.
- Prepare an emergency supply kit. Here are some important items to consider:
- At least a 3-days’ supply of water (one gallon per person per day).
- At least a 3 days’ supply of non-perishable food.
- One change of clothing and shoes per person.
- One blanket or sleeping bag per person.
- First aid kit.
- Emergency tools.
- Extra set of car keys.
- Credit card and cash.
- Special items for infants, elderly or disabled family members.
- Prescription and non-prescription medications.
Last but not least, practice and maintain your plan with your loved ones.