6 Tips To Maintaining a Healthy, Beautiful Looking Lawn This Summer Season
The warm sunny weather is here and it’s time of the year for healthy, green growing grass. A yard doesn’t just have healthy green grass all by itself year after year. In most cases, it takes constant gardening maintenance to care for grass and maintain its gorgeous green coloring.
During this time of year, your grass needs special care. Follow these 6 tips when maintaining your lawn this summer season:
1. Cut your grass at the proper height to maintain its health. If your grass is cut too short, it will burn in the sun or die. Grass that is kept too high will start to thin out due to too much shade. Tall grass also stays damp, which can lead to mold and mildew. Trim your grass about once a week during the growing season to keep it the correct height.
2. Dethatch your yard every two or three years to remove dead grass buildup. When grass dies and new blades take its place, dead vegetation builds up on top of the soil. This can block light and air from advancing new growth.
3. Towards the end of the summer season, aerate your yard to loosen the soil and incorporate more air flow near the surface.
4. After you aerate your grass, overseed your grass. Since you already have a lawn, simply cast the seeds by hand over the grass, throwing out more seed over thin areas.
5. Water your grass on a regular basis, and after casting seed, to maintain healthy growth.
6. Set up a sprinkler for your yard, and water the grass once a day for 15 minutes. Be sure to avoid overwatering your grass. Continue this until you see blades of new grass growing.
Maintain that healthy, beautiful look you love all summer long by following these simple maintenance tips. Make your lawn, your home’s first impression.
For more lawn maintenance and gardening tips visit http://www.hgtv.com/design/outdoor-design/landscaping-and-hardscaping/22-year-round-lawn-care-tips-pictures
Written by: Amanda Haase